I love Viennese Whirls, they have always been one of my favourite biscuits. This recipe is super easy and quick to make, it makes 12 biscuits which makes 6 large Viennese Whirls. You can alter the size of the whirls by adjusting the size of the circles you pipe. They taste divine and our perfect to add to your afternoon tea table or for a quick sweet treat.
You will need
- 2 flat baking trays
- Grease proof paper to line the trays
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon ( you can use an electric whisk)
- Metal spoon
- piping bag with large star nozzle
For the biscuits
- 7oz/200g butter
- 1.8oz/50g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 7oz/200g plain flour
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the filling
- 3.5oz/100g unsalted butter
- 6oz/170g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.8oz/50g jam (raspberry or strawberry)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C for fan/Gas 4.
- Line the trays with greaseproof paper
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy using a wooden spoon (or electric whisk).
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat again
- Sieve in the flour, cornflour and baking powder, fold into the mixture until combined (the dough should be a tacky consistency)
- Spoon the dough into the prepared piping bag with large star nozzle
- Pipe swirly circles 5cm diameter onto the 2 prepared trays. (You can alter the size if you want smaller or larger biscuits.) The circles should be about 3cm apart.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until pale golden in colour and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and leave them on the sheet for a few minutes, then place them on a wire rack to cool completely (for about half an hour).
- Make the butter cream filling by creaming the icing sugar and butter together in a bowl, add in the vanilla extract mix to a smooth paste.
- Turn the cooled biscuits over so their flat side is facing up, you then need to add butter cream to half the biscuits and jam to the other half. Sandwich a jam and a butter cream half together to make your Viennese Whirl. (You can either pipe the butter cream or spread it on).
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.