I love shortbread and this delicious shortbread biscuit recipe is super easy and versatile Once you have made the base mixture you can cut it into rounds, slabs, squares, strips or you can use different shaped cutters and make shaped biscuits.
You will need
- Rolling pin
- Baking tray
- Baking parchment
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Shaped cutters (if using)
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 55g (2oz) caster sugar (plus a little extra for the top if dusting baked shortbread)
- 190g (6.5oz) plain flour (plus a little extra for dusting the rolling surface)
- Prepare your baking tray lining it with baking parchment
- Heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl
- Sieve in the flour and mix well
- On a floured surface roll out the dough to approx.1cm thick
- Cut the dough into strips, slabs or squares, or use round or shaped cutters. Place the cut dough onto a lined baking tray. Keep rolling and cutting until all dough is used.
- Pop in the oven middle shelf for about 15 minutes.
- Once baked remove and cool on a wire tray. You can if you wish sprinkle them with a little caster sugar
- Eat and enjoy.
If you want more than just plan shortbread biscuits you can add dried fruit or chocolate chips for example. Add any additional dry ingredients to your creamed mixture.